These are the characteristics of an organization with the Culture of Fear that are listed in the book:
- It is not safe to say certain things. And truth is no excuse for saying them.
- In fact, being right in your doubts proved that you must be the reason that the fondest wishes of those above you did not come true.
- Goals are set so aggresively that there is virtually no chance of achieving them.
- Power is allowed to trump common sense.
- Anyone can be abused and abased for a failure to knuckle under.
- The people that are fired are, on average, more competent than the people who aren´t.
- The surviving managers are a particulary angry lot. Everyone is terrified of crossing them.
Tom finish that section with the following:
"I hope that as you read these points you're inclined to think thy present a truly extreme picture. I hope this, since it suggests that yours is not a Culture of Fear organization. (If the portrait I'have drawn does not seem extreme to you, you have my sympathies.)"
So, if these points target close to home, do yourself a favor and buy the book. It is a real eye-opener.